[css3-multicol] Applies to block containers

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 23:16:46 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Hi,

The columns, column-width and column-count properties all have the same
"Applies to" line:

> non-replaced block-level elements (except table elements), table
> cells, and inline-block elements

This should really be "block container" instead of an inclusive list of
the block containers that exist in CSS 2.1.

Block-level flex containers are in the list above but are not block
containers; I believe multicol should not apply to them. Flex items are
not in the list, but are block containers; multicol should apply.

"Block container" is the general term that stays relevant as we keep
adding new layout modes.

Except that elements that multicol are not block containers anymore. So
I guess that the properties really apply to "elements that would
otherwise have been block containers." But thatís awkward. "Applies to:
block containers" is probably a good enough approximation.

--
Simon Sapin