Re: Styling composite elements

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 14:20:48 -0800
To: Antony Kennedy <antony@silversquid.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 1:56 PM, Antony Kennedy <antony@silversquid.com> wrote:
> Of course, I've seen that.
>
> So, where nothing was done, the <select> experience would be exactly as it is now.
>
> With media queries, as an author I could then choose the experience I want my users to have. I could leave it as is, or make it as terrible or as wonderful as I choose.

What will actually happen is that a lot of people will use the new
stuff, only test on their desktop machine, and then people using
phones will just have a crappy experience.

We have to weigh author pro/cons against user pro/cons when designing
new features, and something that is almost certain to result in a
crappy experience for a decent fraction of users is generally
undesirable.