Re: [cssom] Proposal for obtaining robust style information via Javascript - getStyle()

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 21:17:31 -0500
To: Mike Sherov <mike.sherov@gmail.com>
On 1/31/13 9:02 PM, Mike Sherov wrote:
> I believe the proposal is a bit broader, but I'll take any interest :-)
> I believe is what we're talking about, so you can get "used",
> "computed", "specified", "resolved", "actual", "initial", "default" or
> any other value type for a CSS property or an element

I see.

Getting used values is, in many cases, pretty painful.  Gecko, for
example, doesn't really store it in many cases; there would need to be
special code to recompute it.  Even the bits we already have to do for
getComputedStyle are bad enough.  :(

Actual values might be even worse (e.g. the actual color value is not
even under the UA's control; it depends on your monitor hardware, if I
understand the definition of "actual value").

Computed and specified are totally worth doing.

I can't find any documentation of what "resolved" values are.

Initial and default values ought to be reasonably easy to do, I'd think;
they're really a special case of specified values with not all rules
taken into account at heart.

-Boris