Re: Proposal: will-animate property

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 12:33:29 +1100
To: Benoit Girard <bgirard@mozilla.com>, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
CC: Ali Juma <ajuma@chromium.org>, Nat Duca <nduca@chromium.org>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Matt Woodrow <matt@mozilla.com>, Cameron McCormack <cmccormack@mozilla.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
On 10/12/2013 11:51 AM, Benoit Girard wrote:
> If we use *never* then when a value that triggers a stacking context is
> activated then we may have to repaint under some conditions (or make the
> internal optimization deal with this).
>
> I think matching the behavior of the property is reasonable. I'd be ok with
> that.

It's not just matching a property. It's matching a property and value
that creates a stacking context. Part of a transition or animation may
be where the property value does not create a stacking context until a
certain stage.

A clear example. You can animate margin-left but that does not create a
stacking context.

For me, I am still to see a convincing used case for 'will-animate'.

On the other side of the coin, I know of used cases where creating a
stacking context can make things complicated.

Alan

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/