Re: Proposal: will-animate property

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 13:06:01 +1300
To: Benoit Girard <bgirard@mozilla.com>
Cc: Ali Juma <ajuma@chromium.org>, Nat Duca <nduca@chromium.org>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Matt Woodrow <matt@mozilla.com>, Cameron McCormack <cmccormack@mozilla.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Benoit Girard <bgirard@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Alright I'd like to reach an consensus on how to best handle stacking
> context issues since so far there doesn't seem to have one yet.
>
> Currently forcing a stack context for all usage of will-animate is better
> for forward compatibility. For example 'will-animate: new-prop' would have
> the same rendering for any browsers that supports it. It was said above
> that forcing a stacking context isn't necessary to optimize the content by
> layerizing under certain conditions. Not forcing a layer is handy for
> authors where one wouldn't be otherwise required.

Forcing a stacking context doesn't force a layer, at least not in Gecko and
not in other browsers either AFAIK.

Ali brought up an example where forcing a stacking context is undesirable.
There was some debate about it but it seemed plausible.

Personally I think I can live with the list of values for which
"will-change" induces a stacking context being fixed but extensible
(matching the list of properties whose non-initial values induce a stacking
context). There is a forward-compatibility issue but it's basically the
same issue as new-prop:value appearing in a style sheet, which is going to
happen at the same time.

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w