Re: [css-containment] ED of Containment ready for review (was overflow:clip)

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Ojan Vafai <ojan@google.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 7:36 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
>> wrote:
>> > I believe restrictions 2 and 3 should be dropped.
>>
>> Let's let some of the engineers that asked me for this restriction to
>> chime in first.
>
> I'm OK with dropping it. As an overflow property, it would have been nice to
> be able to implement the clipping purely at paint time, but that's not
> needed to get the potential performance benefits to layout and style recalc.

If we drop that, then I want to rework the value space a bit to
explicitly call out what is being restricted, so that we can expand it
in the future to allow authors to disallow scrolling as well.

I think we can split the existing list into three values, "paint",
"style", and "scroll":

* "paint" would be #1, #4, and #5
* "style" would be #6 and #7
* "scroll" would be #2 and #3