Re: [css3-multicol] Excessively wide column-gaps; § 4.3 border-style of column-rule

Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> writes:

> Gérard Talbot wrote:
>
>  > 1- What should happen when column-gaps are excessively wide?
>  >
>  > Let's say:
>  >
>  > div
>  > {
>  > column-count: 3;
>  > column-gap: 200px;
>  > width: 300px;
>  > }
>  >
>  > [...]
>  > But I still can not figure out how the
>  > multi-column element will look like if "Column gaps take up space. That
>  > is, column gaps will push apart content in adjacent columns (within the
>  > same multicol element)."
>
> Hmm.
>
> The whole multicol element will be covered by column gaps, right? Then
> there will be three columns of zero width: one on the left, one in the
> middle, one on the right. However, content is clipped only "in the
> middle of the column gap", so some of the content in the first two
> columns will be visible.

And the last column's left edge will be offset 400px from the multicol
container's left content edge, i.e. it will be outside the multicol's
content box. Not that I see a problem with that, though.

> Or, one can argue that there's no point in splitting content into
> several columns when the columns have zero width. (This is what Presto
> and Prince seems to do)

I can only speak for Presto, but the reason for this behavior is that
Presto implements the 2009 CR, where correct behavior was to reduce used
column-count in situations like this.

> Or, one can say that the column-gap should be honored, even if it
> means that some of the content is pushed outside the multicol element
> (IE seems to do this.)

That sounds like correct implementation of the 2011 spec.

--
---- Morten Stenshorne, developer, Opera Software ASA ----