Re: [css3-multicol] Excessively wide column-gaps; § 4.3 border-style of column-rule

Le Lun 5 août 2013 17:34, Morten Stenshorne a écrit :
> HÃ¥kon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> writes:
>
>> Gérard Talbot wrote:
>>
>>  > 1- What should happen when column-gaps are excessively wide?
>>  >
>>  > Let's say:
>>  >
>>  > div
>>  > {
>>  > column-count: 3;
>>  > column-gap: 200px;
>>  > width: 300px;
>>  > }
>>  >
>>  > [...]
>>  > But I still can not figure out how the
>>  > multi-column element will look like if "Column gaps take up space.
>> That
>>  > is, column gaps will push apart content in adjacent columns (within
>> the
>>  > same multicol element)."
>>
>> Hmm.
>>
>> The whole multicol element will be covered by column gaps, right? Then
>> there will be three columns of zero width: one on the left, one in the
>> middle, one on the right. However, content is clipped only "in the
>> middle of the column gap", so some of the content in the first two
>> columns will be visible.
>
> And the last column's left edge will be offset 400px from the multicol
> container's left content edge, i.e. it will be outside the multicol's
> content box.
> Not that I see a problem with that, though.
>
>> Or, one can argue that there's no point in splitting content into
>> several columns when the columns have zero width. (This is what Presto
>> and Prince seems to do)
>
> I can only speak for Presto, but the reason for this behavior is that
> Presto implements the 2009 CR, where correct behavior was to reduce used
> column-count in situations like this.
>
>> Or, one can say that the column-gap should be honored, even if it
>> means that some of the content is pushed outside the multicol element
>> (IE seems to do this.)
>
> That sounds like correct implementation of the 2011 spec.

Håkon,

I believe that the spec should make this just a bit more explicit than it
is right now... albeit I just noticed this chunk
"
If a column rule is wider than its gap, the column rule will overlap
adjacent column boxes, and possibly extend outside the box of the multicol
element.
"
which would suggest that column-gapS may as well extend outside content
edge of multi-column element.

So, okay.

I intend to submit a test with regards to such situation then.

div
 {
 background-color: black;
 border: blue solid medium;
 color: yellow
 column-count: 3;
 column-gap: 200px;
 font: 1.25em/1 Ahem;
 width: 300px;
 }

  0px       200px      400px
  v          v          v
  Iab________Icd________Ief

Each "I" represents the left edge of each column box. So, black area
should protude out of blue rectangle, on its right side.

Gérard
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite