[css3-conditional] Consolidating css3-mediaqueries and css3-conditional [Was]: Normativity of media queries

From: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 11:20:59 +0200
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 10:48:48 +0200, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
wrote:

> On Thursday 2012-10-25 10:41 +0200, Florian Rivoal wrote:
>> Section 3 of css3-mediaqueries, which is normative, contains this
>> sentence:
>>
>> "The media_query_list production defined below replaces the
>> media_list production from CSS2".
>
> Which is a normative change to a non-normative section of CSS2.

I see, now it makes sense. This is pretty subtle, but you are correct.

While we are at it, do you think you could pull the definition of
media_query_list from css3-mediaqueries into css3-conditional?
Essentially, all of section 3 and 3.1 could be moved to css3-conditional.

That way, all the syntactic aspects of media queries would be fully
normatively described in css3-conditional. This would simplify
css4-mediaqueries a lot, as it would only need to define media types and
media features, and the semantics, but it could leave the syntax entirely
to css3-conditional. Without any (indirect) dependency on
css3-mediaqueries, that spec could be completely superseded.

  - Florian