Re: [css3-syntax][css21] More problems with determining the character encoding

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:33:51 +0300
To: www-style@w3.org
On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 4:04 AM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
> Before considering declaring something as non-conformant that may very well
> be used in current practice, it seems you need to provide some statistics
> about its current usage.

I think it should be non-controversial to ban a legacy encoding that’s
not supported by major browsers without showing statistics of use,
since any use would already be broken.

> And as I said before, we can't declare it
> non-conformant for an implementation to support an encoding we would prefer
> not to be used.

I don’t see why not for encodings that are not included by the
Encoding Standard. (The Encoding Standard includes the encodings that
are already broadly supported by browsers and, therefore, may be
expected by authors to work.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi