Re: [css-variables] Resolving fallback-enabled cyclical property references

From: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 09:31:29 +0200
To: "Tom Potts" <karaken12@gmail.com>
Cc: "CSS WG" <www-style@w3.org>
|  Very interesting, François. I've been thinking about something similar,
but I wasn't
|  able to come up with a working algorithm. Am I right in thinking that
this only solves
|  problems where backup values are defined?
|
|  Or are you suggesting that
|     el {
|        my-property-a: no-b;
|        my-property-a: get(my-property-b);
|        my-property-b: get(my-property-a);
|     }
|  would also resolve to "no-b" for both properties?

Just to confirm what Tab said, this can't possibly work under current CSS
way of handling style resolution (because the cascade phase don't keep
references to overriden declarations, and most browsers don't keep
always-overidden declarations like the first 'my-property-a' declaration).

It would not be completely impossible to solve this in CSS by introducing a
new top-level keyword ('cascade') but this is out of scope of this proposal.