Re: [css-display] Unofficial draft of a Display spec ready for consumption

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 09:03:50 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 7:30 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk
> <news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:
>> There is no way in current multi-column spec to disable "multi-columnes"
>> Let's say we have this:
>>
>> div { columns-count:3; column-width: 45px; }
>>
>> And you will want to disable column layout on mobile.
>>
>> @media handheld {
>>    div { ... how to switch to default block layout here? ... }
>> }
>> how to do that? Defining display:block will not help you
>> to remove columns, right?
>
> div { columns: auto; }
>
> The initial value *obviously* turns off multicol, since it's not on by default.

Far not that obvious:

columns: <‘column-width’> || <‘column-count’>

Both ‘column-width’ and 'column-count’ accept 'auto' values.
"'auto' means that the column width will be determined by other properties".

So the only way to remove multi-column layout is:
columns: auto auto;

But see how fragile is the whole system is:
1.  Each LM has different rules to apply/remove
     given layout.
2. List of LMs is an open set - we will add more
   layout methods/managers. And with each LM
   you don't know upfront their precedence.

For example, what layout will be used in this case:

div {
   columns: 4;
   grid-columns: 50% * * 4em;
}