Re: [css21][css3-box] Box generation for inlines and display:none

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 13:19:51 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
On 10/22/12 1:06 PM, Anton Prowse wrote:
> It's likely that we'll start modelling this as follows: an inline
> element generates a single principal inline box which is then possibly
> fragmented across multiple line boxes.

How does that model handle this case:

<!DOCTYPE html>
ע<span style="border:1px solid green;background:yellow">ִבְרִית 17</span>95

In particular, consider the set of boxes that actually get generated
here for the <span>.

Note that the current handling of that case is best described as
"awkward" for borders/padding/margins, but I'm not sure there are really
sane ways to handle those in situations like this.  On the other hand,
current handling of background color is just fine.  background _images_
are likely a mess.

-Boris