[css21][css3-box] Box generation for inlines and display:none (was: Re: [css-display] Unofficial draft of a Display spec ready for consumption)

From: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 19:06:14 +0200
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
CC: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
On 22/10/2012 03:57, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk
>> <news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:
>>> 'display-box'  either 'normal' or 'none'
>>> sounds misleading for inline elements. They have no box to hide or to
>>> show normally.
>>
>> Inline elements generate boxes.
>
> So it should be plural then, display-boxes or so.

It's likely that we'll start modelling this as follows: an inline
element generates a single principal inline box which is then possibly
fragmented across multiple line boxes.  This has parallels with how a
block element generates a principal block box which is then possibly
fragmented across multiple pages/columns/regions.

Before we commit to that, though, some review of the inline formatting
model is needed to check for incompatibilities.  (My feeling is that
there *will* be incompatibilities; the question is whether they actually
matter.)

> But display:none does not just mean not generating boxes.
> It is also about margin collapsing for example.

In what way?

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net