Re: Alternative Style Sheets

From: Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 15:34:33 -0400
To: "Anton Prowse" <prowse@moonhenge.net>
Cc: "Antony Kennedy" <antony@silversquid.com>, "Sebastian Zartner" <sebastianzartner@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org, "Perry Smith" <pedzsan@gmail.com>
Le Ven 12 octobre 2012 6:54, Anton Prowse a écrit :

> The point is, you don't know whether it's even worth looking in the
> menu.

> What's missing is some UI to notify the user that there is an
> alternative stylesheet available. That's what makes the thing fairly
> useless in practice, IMO.

I agree. Noticeability (or discoverability) matters here.

Since alternate stylesheets are truly about each individual visited sites,
then it should not be accessible/reachable from the View menu. Chrome
Style Chooser [1] displays an icon in the address bar if and only if
alternate stylesheets are available for the current URL: I think this is
elegant and meaningful, relevant usability.

[1]: "Style Chooser" extension (now at version 1.2)

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite