Re: [css3-transforms][css4-background] Should the spec have {background,transform,perspective}-origin-x/y

On Oct 12, 2012, at 8:06 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> On 10/12/12 8:36 AM, Florian Rivoal wrote:
>> Agreed. Due to things like that, we should generally stay away from
>> introducing *-x and *-y properties
>
> One thing that may be getting lost in this discussion: The lack of -x
> and -y properties for some of these things is causing compat problems
> for Gecko, because sites are trying to use them.
>
> So again, I am happy to not implement them in Gecko if UAs that
> currently have them drop them.  If they can't drop them, then they are
> de-facto required for compat and need to be specced.
>
> I'm not saying it's a _happy_ situation, but it is what it is.

The same statement for WebKit as on other prefixed properties. If they are not in the standard, WebKit will not unprefix them. That does not mean that they get dropped. In fact, this would break a lot of content that currently assumes that WebKit has these properties.

Greetings,
Dirk