Re: [css3-flexbox] Children of flex items ignoring cross-axis percentage length

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 5:45 AM, Rudolph Gottesheim <r.gottesheim@loot.at> wrote:
> On 10/09/2012 02:13 PM, Morten Stenshorne wrote:
>> The height of the "item" elements are "indefinite" (a term used in the
>> flexbox) spec, so the percentage height on the "item" elements should
>> compute to 'auto'.
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visudet.html#the-height-property
>>
>>    "If the height of the containing block is not specified explicitly
>>     (i.e., it depends on content height), and this element is not
>> absolutely
>>     positioned, the value computes to 'auto'."
>
> Yeah, I get that. My question is if the flexbox mechanics (e.g. align-self:
> stretch) should be considered setting the height explicitly.

It's *plausible* to do such a thing (deferring to the flex container's
height), though we're not right now.

However, that wouldn't help your test case, as the flex container is
*also* auto height.

> If this isn't possible (I'm no implementer, obviously), is there any way to
> achieve effect I'm looking for? I think it's a very common use case: a
> horizontal list of links (like a menu bar), where the links themselves are
> all the same height, even if some have line breaks and some don't.

Hm, we don't quite have a solution for this.  I thought that "height:
fill-available;" (from <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-sizing>) would
work, but it won't - it'll skip right through the flex container, too,
and make the <a>s the size of the document (or whatever the nearest
ancestor with a definite size is).

I'll note this as an issue for either the next level of Flexbox or Sizing.