Re: [css3-flexbox] Children of flex items ignoring cross-axis percentage length

From: Rudolph Gottesheim <r.gottesheim@loot.at>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 14:45:42 +0200
To: Morten Stenshorne <mstensho@opera.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org
On 10/09/2012 02:13 PM, Morten Stenshorne wrote:
> The height of the "item" elements are "indefinite" (a term used in the
> flexbox) spec, so the percentage height on the "item" elements should
> compute to 'auto'.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visudet.html#the-height-property
>
>    "If the height of the containing block is not specified explicitly
>     (i.e., it depends on content height), and this element is not absolutely
>     positioned, the value computes to 'auto'."

Yeah, I get that. My question is if the flexbox mechanics (e.g.
align-self: stretch) should be considered setting the height explicitly.

If this isn't possible (I'm no implementer, obviously), is there any way
to achieve effect I'm looking for? I think it's a very common use case:
a horizontal list of links (like a menu bar), where the links themselves
are all the same height, even if some have line breaks and some don't.