Re: [css3-fonts][css-variables][css-counter-styles-3][css3-values] Case sensitivity of user-defined identifiers

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> On 10/3/12 11:46 AM, François REMY wrote:
>>
>> |  Ah, because variable names are property _names_, not property _values_?
>>
>> Actually, they are both.
>
> Well, right, but there is no problem in my mind with making property
> _values_ case-sensitive as needed.

There is, though!

Variables are problematic because they take a space traditionally
reserved for language-defined idents (property names) and open them up
to user-defined idents.

But values do the same thing.  @counter-style takes the space of
counter style names and mixes in user-defined idents.  The discussions
surrounding extending text-transform do the same thing.  Assuming we
stick with this approach (rather than forcing the user-defined stuff
into a distinguishable type, like <string>), then it gets weird - if
user-defined idents are case-sensitive, then what about "disc"?  Do we
treat it specially, or just pretend that there are 16 identical
variants of the disc style, varying only in capitalization?