Re: [css3-fonts][css-variables][css-counter-styles-3][css3-values] Case sensitivity of user-defined identifiers

Brian Kardell :: @bkardell :: hitchjs.com
On Sep 30, 2012 11:15 PM, "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 9/30/12 10:59 PM, John Daggett wrote:
>>
>> However, lookups done using document.getElementById are case
*insensitive*.

> They sure shouldn't be!  Where are he case insensitive?
>

>> So I think we should stick with (1) and not try to create new additional
casing
>> rules.  I'm not suggesting this is ideal but I think the "ideal" way of
using
>> normalization and full case mapping needs to first be addressed in a
web-wide way
>> rather than just within CSS.
>

> For what it's worth, the "case insensitive" parts of HTML use ASCII case
insensitivity.  But they only apply to a limited set of identifiers. For
anything where user-provided stuff is used, HTML is case-sensitive.  An
exception is quirks mode, where some things like id and class matching for
CSS are ASCII case-insensitive.

> And I think (1) would be fine by me.
>
> -Boris

Given everything else existing (learned a few new things myself here thanks
to tab and borris) it seems that #1 is both easier and least surprising,
despite limitations, that seems like a win to me.