Re: [css3-images] [css3-background] Image/media fragments and cropping

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> 2012/11/9 Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>:
>> CSS did not define that fragment syntax.  As the spec explains and
>> links, it is defined by the Media Fragments spec:
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/media-frags/
>
> And this syntax is ugly, and does not work with all resource URI
> (notably not when they need to indicate their fragments in a way that
> will conflict with this spec, notably with archives and containers
> (which most often are not carrying the media-types of each one of
> their contents). e.g. ZIP files (JAR's are ZIP files containing a
> specification for storing their associated metadata).

I suggest sending this feedback to the Media Fragments WG, then.  I'd
prefer not to add an explicit fragment syntax to CSS unless/until we
determine that MF is broken and won't be fixed in a reasonable
timeframe.

> In addition this spec is still NOT implemented in almost all browsers.
> The exeriments that have been performed on this are all full of bugs
> (including serious security ones, with things that have been forgotten
> in the specification at the API level for media objects to support
> SAFELY the selection and extraction of fragments, which may not have
> all the same security requirements as the container itself, notably
> beause some parts may be encrypted).

Adding a new feature to work around another new feature's bugs or lack
of implementation is rarely a winning strategy.  ^_^