Re: [css-variables] CSS Variables are a NEW kind of variable

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Sylvain Galineau
<sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:

> [François REMY:]
>> > The very idea of mixing up a function with a name ('define') is
>> > completely confusing.
>>
>> +1, BTW.
>>
> All right, just so I understand what was being talked about. What part
> of the following included/'mixed up' a "function"?
>
>        :root { define-link-color: blue }
>        a { color: $link-color }
>
> I see a user-defined property set to a value. And a delimiter to dereference/use
> that user-defined property. We're clearly not talking about the CSS function
> syntax since there is no such thing here so what are we referring to?

I don't personally find "define" confusing, by I see François' point.
Sylvain, isn't there any other prefix that we could hang this on that
doesn't have this potential to confuse?  user-*,  custom-*,  meta-*,
map-* ?