RE: [css-variables] allowed syntax of variable values

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 19:10:42 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
CC: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>

[Tab Atkins Jr.:]
> It's extremely unrestricted compared to normal CSS.  The sentence just
> emphasizes that there's no particular grammar for the property, in the
> sense that normal CSS properties have.

No one argues that it's not less restricted. But there *is* a restriction and
I think it is suggested that in a specification words such as 'unrestricted'
are best used to describe an absolute state vs. using them as a loose comparative
e.g. as a marketing department would use 'unlimited' to describe certain flat
pricing schemes.

(Granted, 'unlimited minutes on nights and week-ends' always sounded
hilariously contradictory to me but given its popularity maybe I'm the
idiot...)

Anyway. I'm well above my weekly bikeshedding quota already.