RE: [CSS21] shortening inline-height has no apparent effect

> Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 13:27:18 -0400
> Subject: RE: [CSS21] shortening inline-height has no apparent effect
> From: www-style@gtalbot.org
> To: tstartme@hotmail.com
>

> Le Lun 28 mai 2012 7:53, Roger Baker a écrit :
> > Hi Gérard,
> >
> > I've had a chance to try out your test. I downloaded and installed the
> > Ahem font. I changed the line-height of the div from 0 to 50px. Now, if I
> > may ask what is perhaps a stupid question: When you say "Measure the
> > yellow rectangle, how exactly do I do a measurement of something on a
> > screen?
> > Thank you,
> > Roger
>
> There is a vertical ruler on the left side of that page. It's a rough
> measurement in some cases.

I was being silly and trying your test locally (I copied the document source to my computer), and of course my computer couldn't find the background url (the ruler) on *my* hard drive! I realized it's best to do your test online with Firebug, so that problem's solved. I did a little drawing experiment (scale drawing) based on your test to represent what I think is going on, and my results match the browser's rendering, so I think I understand now. I posted the drawing on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29892546@N03/7296479510/in/photostream/lightbox/, if you or anyone else is able to take a peek and challenge my interpretation if they think I'm wrong.

> Roger, I must say I am very busy these days... Please post your questions
> in the mailing list. Your questions are not stupid. In fact, they are
> relevant and I have been quite vocal and have been asking/rquesting about
> improving section 9.2.2, section 10.6 and section 10.8 of CSS 2.1.

I really appreciate your (and everyone else's) time. I think the CSS spec is a great document and I give a lot of credit to those who contributed to it. On the other hand, there does *appear* to be a bit too much red tape when it comes to making changes, particularly relatively minor amendments/clarifications/elucidations that don't change the essential substance of the text. Of course, I'm speaking basically as an outsider, and I don't understand the editing process.

Roger