[CSS21] shortening inline-height has no apparent effect

From: Roger Baker <tstartme@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 10:29:54 -0400
To: <www-style@w3.org>

Hi,
Expanding the inline height of the inline box in the following example has the expected separation (effect due to expansion of its line box):

http://jsfiddle.net/8XJhY/6/

But *shortening* the inline height of the inline box does not bring the succeeding line box closer (does not appear to shorten its line box), for example:

http://jsfiddle.net/8XJhY/1/

Can someone help me explain this (or point me to the relevant section of the spec)?

Thanks very much