Re: [css-wywiwyg] browser interpretation of css

I suggest you look at some of the open source browser engines (Gecko, WebKit). You'll discover their immense complexity (millions of lines of code), piles of historical artifact, and different levels of implementation for old and new CSS features.

Your question is akin to "Why aren't all translations of the Bible into language X exactly the same". There are many reasons, both deep and shallow, why they are not.

Simon