Re: [CSS21] Errata to disallow 'inherit' after comma in 'font-family'

From: Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 16:55:18 +0300
To: www-style@gtalbot.org
I was wondering for a while if I should post this, as it seems there are
technical & backwards compatibility reasons behind the decision (which I
have to admit, I havenít followed very closely).
FWIW, allowing `inherit` after the font families is tremendously useful.
It allows authors to set the base font family in the root element, and
override it only when alternative fonts are present in the system. If
they are not, it falls back to the root font-family, without having to
needlessly repeat it and change it in multiple places when the base
font-family is changed. Of course, there are a number of ways to work
around this use case (variables, @font-face alias of local() fonts etc)
but I like its simplicity and elegance. I still remember how weird I
found it that it wasnít allowed when I was still new to CSS. So, by
extrapolating my own experience, Iíd speculate that forbidding it, makes
learning harder.

--
Lea Verou (http://lea.verou.me | @LeaVerou)