Re: Proposition to change the prefixing policy

On 5/5/12 16:18, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> If we're talking about previews, then it seems like the right solution
> is to not ship prefixed stuff in final releases; just keep it in
> previews.  Yes, this has come up before.  Getting everyone to agree on
> this and stick to it is the hard part, given the benefits defecting
> has.  And of course authors seem to be against this approach.
>
> -Boris

There are several issues with this:
1. It has been mentioned in this thread that it’s against company policy
of several implementors.
2. It defies the entire advantage that prefixes were supposed to bring:
Getting author input for in-development features. When the feature is
present only in a preview (or in a stable build, but behind a switch),
the volume of author feedback declines tremendously. I believe Alex
Russell has specific statistics of how big a decline we’re talking
about, but I recall it’s > 90%. This would result in specs being
developed almost blindly, detached from the reality of author needs. Do
we want that?

--
Lea Verou (http://lea.verou.me | @LeaVerou)