Re: Proposition to change the prefixing policy

From: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 00:14:11 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
> I'm really torn on this. On the one hand, the current policy clearly has
> problem of unprefixing too late.  On the other, looking at the latest
> flexbox spec, it wasn't until the preparations for last-call that a bunch
> of naming changes were made.

I don't think the flexbox case breaks my proposal in anyway. The very
early spec used display:box, which was later changed. Property names
were changed as well. But nothing would have prevented us
 from doing the same in an unprefixed-aliased-with-prefixed situation.

In a blog post not too long ago[1], Paul Irish looked into whether
not having prefixes would have prevented a number of recent css things
 from evolving the way they did, and concludes that it would have been
fine.

Under my proposal, the same is true, with the added benefits that
authors can use the aliased prefixed version to work around browser
bugs they run into.

[1]
http://paulirish.com/2012/vendor-prefixes-are-not-developer-friendly/#h.jruvgsvd5z3c