Re: Proposition to change the prefixing policy

On Fri, 04 May 2012 20:42:01 +0200, Dirk Pranke <dpranke@chromium.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>> On 5/4/12 2:33 PM, Dirk Pranke wrote:

>>> Isn't this essentially what the current process is supposed to be?
>>

>> The current process has a much higher bar for unprefixing than "Working
>> group agreed to work on this spec".  A bar that allows a draft to be
>> worked
>> on for years with multiple nearly-interoperable implementations in the
>> market, before prefixes can start being removed.
>>

> Sorry, I totally missed that last clause :( Right, that's a big
> difference from CR. To be clear, though, this is still quite different
> from what Florian is proposing ...

It is, and I still prefer what I said. Under this variant, if the lag
between
release and the start of the standardization is long, there is a risk that
the prefixed property (which isn't aliased yet) will be advertised and
catch
on, bring is us back to a scenario not entierly unlike what we have today
with the excesses of -webkit- prefixing.

Beside, as I said in another mail[1], even if half baked feature are
shipped
unprefixed and gets somewhat popular, we still have plenty of room to fix
them as long as we are aware of the compatibility implications, as
unprefixed doesn't mean frozen anymore.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012May/0147.html