RE: Proposition to change the prefixing policy

From: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 21:10:28 +0000
To: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
CC: Dirk Pranke <dpranke@chromium.org>, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Independent the timeline of "unprefixed property birth", I think it's important to make it obvious to authors when something is exploratory rather than a proposed/draft property.

Example A:
                -ms-exploratory-widget: 7px;

Example B:
                -ms-gadget: 7px;
                gadget: 7.01px;

Example A shows a vendor-specific property to expose some new functionality for experimentation.

Example B shows a standard property that supports float with an approximated workaround for a vendor implementation that only support integers.

I don't know if "exploratory" is the right word or not.  But hopefully the point is clear.