RE: [css3-text] line-break effects on non-cjk text

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 02:59:54 -0400
To: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
> From: Florian Rivoal [mailto:florianr@opera.com]
> The ‘line-break’ has a note saying "In CSS3 no distinction is made among the levels of
> strictness in non-CJK text: only CJK codepoints are affected, unless the text is marked as
> Chinese or Japanese, in which case some additional common codepoints are affected.
> However a future level of CSS may add behaviors affecting non-CJK text."
>
> I agree with this message, but I just realized it was only a non normative note.
>
> The normative prose, on the other hand, says:
>
> "The precise set of rules in effect for each level is up to the UA and should follow language
> conventions. However, this specification does recommend that: [... rules for CJK...]"
>
> It seems to me that the note and the normative text contradict each other, as the
> normative text allows variation of behavior on non CJK text (even if it doesn't define them),
> while the note implies there are none.
>
> I think this apparent contradiction should be resolved.

The note was added after the Kyoto F2F. From the minute[1]:

> florian: So if you say 'strict', does it only work on japanese?
> fantasai: They work in all languages, but the rules specifically refer to
>             japanese characters, so it won't effect other scripts.

How about changing the note:

- In CSS3 no distinction is made
+ In the recommended list above, no distinction is made

Since CSS Text Level 3 doesn't define the precise set of rules, I hope this resolve the contradiction.

Regards,
Koji

[1] CSS3 Text: line-break section of http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Jun/0325.html