Re: [css3-text] feedback on 'word-break: keep-all;'

From: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 02:22:23 -0400
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
2012/5/4 fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>:

> Latin *already* keeps consecutive letters together. What do you mean here?

The scenario where a hyphen is indiscriminately considered a valid
break point, as mentioned in a previous post in this thread.

But since we are talking about CJK here, I *think* I have asked this
same question before too, but maybe I should ask again: Suppose we
have the following example sentence:

我們今次的例會邀請到陳大文教授講解公@交通的重要性。

and we want the following (where each · denotes a possible break point):

我們·今次·的·例會·邀請·到·陳大文教授·講解·公@交通·的·重要性。

I expect keep-all to be able to accomplish this, but for some reason I
remember being told that this is not in fact the case. The explanation
in http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/ seems to neither confirm nor
deny this. Is clarification needed for keep-all, or have I missed
something obvious?

In any case, if keep-all is meant to *only* apply to CJK text this
needs to be clarified.

--
cheers,
-ambrose <http://gniw.ca>