Re: [css3-values] define 'dot' to be a device pixel

From: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 14:01:46 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 23:36:13 +0200, Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So far as I can tell, the closest thing to a definition for "dot" in
> CSS3 Values is in the caption of Figure 2:
>
>     "Showing that more device pixels (dots) are needed to cover a 1px by
>     1px area on a high-resolution device than on a low-res one"
>
> I think it would be good if this definition were raised out of the
> caption to be its own statement in normative prose somewhere. The 'dpi',
> 'dpcm', and 'dppx' unit definitions in ยง6.4 could then reference this
> definition.

I agree with the sentiment, as that is what dot has come to mean, and
spelling it out explicitly might make things clearer.

On the other hand, if we do it, it should be clear that we only define
'dot' as a piece of terminology, not a unit, so that people don't
assume that you can then write:

div{ width : 123dot; }