[css3-text] Why is the definition of word in text-transform non normative

From: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 15:32:59 +0200
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Hi,

There may have been discussions about this, but I couldn't find them.

The section about text-transform says "The definition of "word" used for
‘capitalize’ is UA-dependent; [UAX29] is suggested (but not required) for
determining such word boundaries." Why not require it?

I know there is another issue open to discuss whether the behavior
described by UAX29 is really the one we want, but what I am asking here is
orthogonal to that. Whatever we decide is the desired behavior, why not
mandate it?

Is it just to ease the compliance with this (already feature rich) level,
with the intention of eventually (maybe at level 4) make it mandatory?

In general, I think the improved interoperability that we would gain by
making the definition of word normative is worth having.

  - Florian