Re: [CSS21] [CSS3 Text] Should 'text-transform: uppercase' apply to input type="text" (text entered, typed in text field by user)?

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 14:03:06 -0700
To: www-style@gtalbot.org
On 06/20/2012 11:24 AM, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a followup on a discussion in march 2004 with subject line
> [CSS21] CSS 2.1 text-transform ambiguity
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2004Mar/0000.html
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2004Mar/0002.html
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2004Mar/0004.html
> "
> The user entered text is NOT part of the
> contents of that element, so should a UA apply text effects to the entered
> value or not? The CSS3 UI working draft may provide a possibility.
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/Konqueror4Bugs/Bug76122-Text-transform-Input-Text.html

I believe that yes, text-transform applies to text in form elements.
However, since form element styling is out-of-scope for CSS, it's
entirely possible that a particular implementation act as if it
forces the contents to have 'text-transform: none'.

So the testcase is valid, but failure does not indicate non-conformance.
(I suppose it should therefore be marked as 'may'.)

~fantasai