Re: [CSS21] [CSS3 Text] Should 'text-transform: uppercase' apply to input type="text" (text entered, typed in text field by user)?

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 12:30:50 +0200
Gérard Talbot:

> So, should text-transform apply to user entered text like in text fields?

That’s actually a two-part question:

 1. Is text input shown to the user subject to ‘text-transform’?
 2. Is text input send to the server subject to ‘text-transform’?

I tend to prefer “it should be” for the first and “it should not be” for the second part.

With ‘text-transform’ some UAs ignore the code/style distinction already: When you copy text that was case-changed through CSS from a browser into a plain-text environment, it will often be pasted with the casing displayed in the browser instead of the one stored in the source code. I strongly believe this is just as wrong as not copying “display: none” parts to the clipboard.