Re: [css3-syntax] First draft of parser section completed

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 17:59:06 -0700
To: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Cc: "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kennyluck@csail.mit.edu>, WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:32 PM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr> wrote:
> Le 12/06/2012 08:15, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu a écrit :
>> I only feel strongly that we should document the difference between
>> "Parse Error" and the CSS 2.1 "Core Grammar", so for whoever implements
>> this grammar (e.g. tinycss) this is still trackable.
>
> I plan to update tinycss as soon as css3-syntax is stable enough.
>
> I realize this might be a breaking change for pretty much any usage of
> tinycss, but I think that the project is still young enough to afford it.

it actually shouldn't be painful at all.

The CSS2.1 grammar is incomplete and occasionally goes against
reality, yes, but mostly only in odd corner cases.  The vast majority
of my work here in Syntax is just recasting the grammar-based approach
to a state-machine-based one, and fixing the couple of places where it
doesn't match browser behavior.