Re: [css3-syntax] First draft of parser section completed

Le 13/06/2012 02:59, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
>> I plan to update tinycss as soon as css3-syntax is stable enough.
>> >
>> >I realize this might be a breaking change for pretty much any usage of
>> >tinycss, but I think that the project is still young enough to afford it.
> it actually shouldn't be painful at all.
>
> The CSS2.1 grammar is incomplete and occasionally goes against
> reality, yes, but mostly only in odd corner cases.  The vast majority
> of my work here in Syntax is just recasting the grammar-based approach
> to a state-machine-based one, and fixing the couple of places where it
> doesn't match browser behavior.

I absolutely agree that css3-syntax is the right thing to do in the
middle- or long-term. (That’s why I’m pushing to have every other CSS
module use it!) But in the short-term, this would still be a
backward-incompatible change: WeasyPrint and other tools that use
tinycss would need to be updated, or specify a dependency on a specific
version. I plan to do it anyway, but I need to be aware of compatibility
issues.

(Until now I specify dependencies on eg. 'tinycss >= 0.2' but maybe I
should do something like 'tinycss >= 0.2, < 0.3')

--
Simon Sapin