Re: [css3-writing-modes] before/after terminology alternative?

fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote on 2012/05/30 1:10:43
> On 05/29/2012 08:56 AM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> >
> > [L. David Baron:]
> >>
> >> Are we sure 'head' / 'foot' are actually writing-mode-independent terms,
> >> as opposed to effectively being terms for 'top' / 'bottom'?
> >>
> > Right; I think the assumption here is that web authors will see head/foot and
> > think header/footer. Fwiw I think that is a reasonable assumption [...]
>
> Yes, that was exactly my first thought!

Unfortunately, head/foot as alternative terminology of before/after are inconsistent with Japanese layout terminology in JLREQ[1]:

Terminology Japanese Romanized transliteration Definition

head 天 ten a) The top part of a book or a page.
   b) The top margin between the top edge of a trimmed page and the hanmen (text area)
   (JIS Z 8125)

foot 地 chi a) The bottom part of a book or a page.
   b) The bottom margin between the edge of a trimmed page and the hanmen (text area)
   (JIS Z 8125)

headnote 頭注 tōchū A kind of notes in vertical writing style, head area in kihon-hanmen is kept beforehand, and notes are set with smaller size font than main text.

footnote 脚注 kyakuchū A note in a smaller face than that of main text, placed at the bottom of a page. (JIS Z 8125)

line head 行頭 gyōtō The position at which a line starts. (JIS Z 8125)
line head alignment 行頭そろえ gyōtō soroe To align a run of text to the line head. (JIS Z 8125)
line head indent 字下げ jisage To reserve a certain amount of space after the default position of a line head. (JIS Z 8125)

running head 柱 hashira A page element which contains information on the title of the book, chapter, section and so on, printed outside the area of the hanmen. (JIS Z 8125)

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/#terminology

In JLREQ, head/foot mean basically physical top/bottom and the 'line head' (行頭) means line-start.
The headnote (頭注) is positioned in physical top area in vertical writing style.
The footnote (脚注) is positioned in physical bottom area in both vertical/horizontal writing styles.
(Note: 頭=head, 脚=foot)

Are you ok if CSS spec terminology and Japanese layout terminology are so inconsistent?
Personally, I think before/after are better.

--
MURAKAMI Shinyu
http://twitter.com/MurakamiShinyu