Re: [ui] time to re-introduce the 'user-select' property to the spec?

From: Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 12:34:44 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
Hi Aryeh,

You wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 9:48 PM, Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com> wrote:
>> Sounds good to me. Let's try to determine if what Gecko intends "all" to
>> mean is the same as what we had in mind for "atomic." Like I said above,
>> "atomic" causes either all of none of the element to be contained in the
>> selection. This should happen regardless of how the user performed the
>> selection action (unlike the observed Gecko behavior for "all" that
>> Alice identified on webkit-dev).
>
> I later saw Ehsan say that that isn't what "all" is meant to do at
> all.

ยง5.3.3 of the old "User Interface for CSS3" module defines the 'all'
value for 'user-select' like so:

  all
    Only the entire contents as a whole can be selected.

Which is indeed the behavior that we're seeking. What's the use case for
Mozilla's divergence here? The MDN description seems bizarre. Why would
a Web author want such behavior ever?

> What are the use-cases for user-select: auto?

It's unclear to me, but I imagine having the default be 'auto' allows
UAs some flexibility to match unusual platform conventions.

Ted

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-css3-userint-20000216#user-select