Re: [ui] time to re-introduce the 'user-select' property to the spec?

From: Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 10:56:36 +0300
To: "Edward O'Connor" <eoconnor@apple.com>, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 9:48 PM, Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com> wrote:
> Sounds good to me. Let's try to determine if what Gecko intends "all" to
> mean is the same as what we had in mind for "atomic." Like I said above,
> "atomic" causes either all of none of the element to be contained in the
> selection. This should happen regardless of how the user performed the
> selection action (unlike the observed Gecko behavior for "all" that
> Alice identified on webkit-dev).

I later saw Ehsan say that that isn't what "all" is meant to do at
all.  MDN describes it as "In an HTML editor, if a double-click or
context-click occurred in sub-elements, the highest ancestor with this
value will be selected."
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en/CSS/-moz-user-select>  So a new
"atomic" value might be needed.

What are the use-cases for user-select: auto?