Re: [css3-flexbox] absolutely positioned flex item should not have side effect on space distribution

On Jul 18, 2012, at 8:34 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> On 07/18/2012 06:25 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:
>> On Jul 18, 2012, at 10:33 AM, fantasai<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>  wrote:
>>
>>> But wouldn't you want to place the abspos *inside* the flex item
>>> in those cases, rather than before or after it?
>>
>> Sometimes, but probably not always. If it was a tooltip to appear above or to the right of the individual flex item, then yes. But not if it was something for say, a whole horizontal line of a toolbar and the popup help bubble said something like, "these are your tools. Choose one." or whatever.
>
> In that case, though, you'd be served well enough by using an explicit
> position rather than a static one. No?

I'd have to think about it in terms of how flex box changes things, but i think generally the advantage of using a static vertical is when you can't predict where something will end up due to wrapping and line breaking, and when you also need the containing block to be an ancestor of the parent thing that moving around between lines. I'm not explaining it well, so if I get a chance I try to scavange a more real world example.