Re: [css3-multicol] Balancing after a non-breaking element

From: Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 08:29:17 +1000
To: www-style@w3.org
On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 11:40:40AM -0500, Scott Johnson wrote:

> Robert O'Callahan and I have been discussing the case regarding
> balancing in a multi-column set after a column has an element that we
> aren't able to break, and is too large for one of its columns, such as
> an image. Consider the case I present at
> http://people.mozilla.org/~sjohnson/b764567/columnfill-nonbreak-img.html
> It is essentially a three-column set, with an image in the first column
> that is too large vertically to fit in the column, and then (about) two
> lines of text.
>
> The question I have for the list is whether or not these two lines of
> text should balance across the remaining columns, since column-fill:
> balance is specified.

For the particular case of just two lines to be balanced across two columns:

  # [Whether balanced or not], user agents must honor forced page breaks and
  # should try to honor `widows', `orphans' and other properties that may
  # affect column lengths.

The initial value of 'widows' and 'orphans' is 2.

pjrm.