[css3-multicol] Balancing after a non-breaking element

From: Scott Johnson <sjohnson@mozilla.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 11:40:40 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
CC: Robert O'Callahan <rocallahan@gmail.com>
Hello www-style:

Robert O'Callahan and I have been discussing the case regarding
balancing in a multi-column set after a column has an element that we
aren't able to break, and is too large for one of its columns, such as
an image. Consider the case I present at
http://people.mozilla.org/~sjohnson/b764567/columnfill-nonbreak-img.html
It is essentially a three-column set, with an image in the first column
that is too large vertically to fit in the column, and then (about) two
lines of text.

The question I have for the list is whether or not these two lines of
text should balance across the remaining columns, since column-fill:
balance is specified. In most UAs that I have tested thus far (including
Opera, Webkit-, and Gecko-based), it seems that the balancing is
terminated, and we revert to column-fill: auto behavior after the large
image overflows the bounds of the first column.

If we look at another case,
http://people.mozilla.org/~sjohnson/b764567/columnfill-nonbreak-img-2.html
where the non-breakable element (the image) is in the middle frame,
should the two columns to the left and right be balanced?

Robert and I agree that columns in these cases should probably be
balanced, but I wanted to get the opinion of the list members as well,
as this might require changes to existing column code.

Thanks,

--
~Scott