RE: [css3-lists] maintainance of counter styles WAS: Khmer consonants as list markers

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 17:21:42 +0000
To: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

[Florian Rivoal:]
> I am rather thinking that browser should not include these many predefined
> counters at all, and the informative note (preferably published together
> with a css file with the recommended counters) be published for authors to
> use.

I suppose this all boils down to why we don't want to define this normatively.
If we think it'd be harmful for browsers to ship with these definitions built-in
then I'm not sure why we'd want to tell authors to use them. I still think some
of these definitions could be normative; others may not be. I'd rather not throw
out the former because of the latter.

> I'm also thinking that this informative list of i18n counters would better
> maintained as a community effort (Community Group), preferably with at
> least as much participation from i18n folks as from css folks.
Ideally, yes though that's somewhat orthogonal to what we should do with this
module. Until such an effort actually gets started and produces something we
shouldn't make a decision based on what should ideally happen.