Re: [css3-lists] maintainance of counter styles WAS: Khmer consonants as list markers

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>wrote:

> [Glenn Adams:]
>
> >Even Unicode has traditionally avoided defining these orderings in the
> past
> >due to controversy and lack of common agreement.
>
> Are there orderings Unicode has defined? Normatively referencing those
> orderings
> for which there is consensus seems reasonable - and I assume there are
> some that
> are not controversial - but do we know which are agreed?

I think some research would be needed to answer this. Recent work on ES6
I18N [1] might have some pointers here. Also, prior work in ISO JTC1/SC22
[2] may be of use. ISO/IEC 14652 [3] and ISO/IEC 15897 [4] could be useful
for documenting these orderings as registered "cultural conventions".

[1]
http://norbertlindenberg.com/2012/06/ecmascript-internationalization-api/#Collator
[2] http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG20/
[3] http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg20/docs/n972-14652ft.pdf
[4] http://webstore.iec.ch/preview/info_isoiec15897%7Bed2.0%7Den.pdf

> Also, even though there may not be agreement on one particular ordering,
> are
> all the options equally controversial? Even if we must make some list
> orderings
> informative shouldn't we try to suggest one so browsers may at least agree
> on
> something interoperable that will be useful some of the time vs. instruct
> everyone
> to each pick a winner in their own corner?

I see no problem with making informative suggestions for UA implementors in
the absence of an external, normative consensus position.