RE: [css3-lists] maintainance of counter styles WAS: Khmer consonants as list markers

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 15:07:01 +0000
To: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>, Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
CC: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Tony Graham <tgraham@mentea.net>

[Glenn Adams:]

>Even Unicode has traditionally avoided defining these orderings in the past
>due to controversy and lack of common agreement.

Are there orderings Unicode has defined? Normatively referencing those orderings
for which there is consensus seems reasonable - and I assume there are some that
are not controversial - but do we know which are agreed?

Also, even though there may not be agreement on one particular ordering, are
all the options equally controversial? Even if we must make some list orderings
informative shouldn't we try to suggest one so browsers may at least agree on
something interoperable that will be useful some of the time vs. instruct everyone
to each pick a winner in their own corner?