Re: [css3-ui] image cursors and high-dpi displays

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 00:35:30 -0700
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Cc: Rick Byers <rbyers@chromium.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
>>For chromium, we're considering implementing at least #1 and possibly #2
>>(see http://crbug.com/136034), since they seem legitimate without any additions
>>to the CSS3 standard.
>
> I'm not quite sure what you mean regarding #1; image-set is not a standard
> feature in Level 3 of CSS. (If there is a Level 4 spec for it I missed it
> and would be happy to look at it). So at this time #1 relates to a proposed
> addition to CSS that remains engine-specific.
>
> That being said, the expectation that this function should also work in this
> context does seem reasonable; in fact, I don't even think of an extension i.e.
> should this be standardized I think it should work for this scenario.
>
> But the whole thing remains to be added to CSS...

I do plan to spec image-set() once I start working on Images 4, either
this month or the next.

I had thought that Images 3 had defined that 'cursor' takes an <image>
now, but for some reason it only covers the other three image-carrying
properties from 2.1.  I'm not sure if I accidentally omitted that or
if fantasai removed it for some reason.  The intention is definitely
that the <uri> value in 'cursor' is extended to take a general
<image>.

~TJ