Re: [css3-writing-modes] vertical orientation and UTR50

Koji Ishii wrote:

> > Then we should request another UTR50 draft containing the changes
> > and use that.  I am very strongly against defining something that
> > looks like a delta on top of the UTR50 proposal.  There is
> > absolutely no reason to rush to publish something based on
> > preliminary edits that have not necessarily converged to their final
> > form.
>
> First, we resolved to put our own table in the writing-modes spec[1]:
>
> > - RESOLVED: put our own table of behaviors for mixed-right and upright
> >               values in the writing-modes spec until UTR50 stabilizes

This is an unfortunate paraphrase of what was said.  Elika asked if we
could make a copy of the UTR data and I said yes.  There was some
nodding and that was about it.

My feeling now is that there's some pushback from folks in Japan so I
think it would be best to define the property values 'mixed-right' and
'upright' clearly and simply based on the Unicode properties defined
in UTR50.  Once those are resolved, we will have a clear normative
definition without the need to change/tweak it later because we
snapshotted the data too soon.

John Daggett