Re: [css3-writing-modes] vertical orientation and UTR50

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 23:58:20 -0700 (PDT)
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>

Koji Ishii wrote:

> > Then we should request another UTR50 draft containing the changes
> > and use that.  I am very strongly against defining something that
> > looks like a delta on top of the UTR50 proposal.  There is
> > absolutely no reason to rush to publish something based on
> > preliminary edits that have not necessarily converged to their final
> > form.
>
> First, we resolved to put our own table in the writing-modes spec[1]:
>
> > - RESOLVED: put our own table of behaviors for mixed-right and upright
> >               values in the writing-modes spec until UTR50 stabilizes

This is an unfortunate paraphrase of what was said.  Elika asked if we
could make a copy of the UTR data and I said yes.  There was some
nodding and that was about it.

My feeling now is that there's some pushback from folks in Japan so I
think it would be best to define the property values 'mixed-right' and
'upright' clearly and simply based on the Unicode properties defined
in UTR50.  Once those are resolved, we will have a clear normative
definition without the need to change/tweak it later because we
snapshotted the data too soon.

John Daggett